History

The present church was originally built in 1915, replacing a smaller church which was then converted into the parish hall.

In 1940 the church was virtually destroyed during a bombing raid but was rebuilt in the original style, reopening in 1954. Father Downie who was Vicar at the time wrote "the generosity of St. Luke's parishioners has enabled us to adorn the interior in a worthy fashion so that the church can now be seen in something like its original beauty and dignity"

In 1983 the church was completely re-orientated, placing the altar at the west end and creating a new chapel, meeting rooms, kitchen and toilets at the east end.

During 1998, through the generosity of a former parishioner, we have been able to redecorate the church and install comfortable new chairs. We are pleased to say that this refurbishment of St Luke's has been awarded a Commended certificate by the DAC (Diocesan Advisory Committee) Design Awards 2000 scheme. The Awards Scheme, which started in 1999, is run by the DAC in co-operation with Essex County Council, English Heritage, The Friends of Essex Churches and Essex Environment Trust. Click here to see the certificate

Photo of interior of St Luke's Church

Interior of St Luke's